NNPP Withdraws Nomination to Avoid INEC Disqualification

NNPP Withdraws Candidates from Kano By-elections to Avoid Disqualification

The New Nigerian Peoples Party (NNPP) has clarified its absence from Saturday’s Kano State House of Assembly by-elections, stating it voluntarily withdrew its nominations to protect its candidates from potential disqualification by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) due to double nomination.

The by-elections, held across 1,014 polling units in the Ungogo and Kano Municipal constituencies, were triggered by the deaths of the former lawmakers for those areas, Aminu Sa’ad Ungogo and Sarki Aliyu, who passed away on the same day. While the polls proceeded peacefully, voter turnout was reported to be low, and major opposition parties including the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the African Democratic Congress (ADC) were notably absent from the ballot papers.

NNPP’s Kano State Publicity Secretary, Engr. Ibrahim Karaye, explained in an interview that the party had initially fielded and publicly announced candidates who later aligned with the All Progressives Congress (APC). He said the party’s original intent was to support the families of the deceased lawmakers as a gesture of solidarity. However, the situation shifted following the defection of the Kano State Governor to the APC.

Karaye alleged that the governor’s defection created confusion and that government agents subsequently pressured the candidates, compelling them to abandon NNPP for the ruling party. After a review, the NNPP concluded its candidates had been coerced into switching allegiance.

To circumvent the risk of INEC disqualifying the candidates for being nominated by two parties simultaneously, NNPP said it made the strategic decision to withdraw its own nomination. Karaye emphasized this move was taken in the candidates’ interest to ensure their eligibility remained intact.

“For that reason, we withdrew our nomination of them for fear of double nomination that may lead to their disqualification by INEC,” Karaye stated. He maintained that despite not being on the ballot, the party remains committed to its earlier endorsed candidates.

The development highlights the volatile political dynamics in Kano state ahead of the 2023 general elections, where party realignments and alleged coercion have impacted electoral contests. The by-elections ultimately featured a field of smaller parties, including Accord, APC, APN, APP, PRP, WPP, and ZLP, with the APC widely anticipated to retain the seats.

Posted in

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

My biggest regret is not treating women better - Rapper, Future

Future Regrets Poor Treatment of Women, No Male Role Model

Putin has always been ‘straight with me’ – Witkoff — RT World News

Trump Envoy: Moscow’s Goals, Red Lines Key to Ukraine Peace

Umahi sanctions ministry officials, sets February deadline — Daily Nigerian

Umahi orders APG contractors use federal funds or lose payments

APC wins Ungogo, Kano Municipal by-elections

APC Sweeps Kano By-elections as Sons Win Vacant Seats

Scroll to Top