Togo’s government said on Saturday it possesses “serious and consistent evidence” against two French documentary filmmakers and their Togolese fixer who have been detained since July 27 on charges of making false statements. The ministries of justice and security issued their first official statement on the case, accusing the team of filming without proper authorization in sensitive northern regions.
Gaël Mocaër, Sebastian Perez Pezzani, and their fixer Fred Vedomey were arrested while shooting a travel documentary for French television in the Savanes region and Bimah prefecture. Authorities say the filming permits were only in Vedomey’s name and did not cover the locations visited. The team is also accused of operating a drone whose specifications were not declared in advance.
The three men deny all allegations. Their lawyer, Martial Akakpo, told AFP that his clients reject the charges. According to Reporters Without Borders (RSF), Mocaër and Vedomey remain in pre-trial detention in the capital, Lomé, while Perez Pezzani was moved to house arrest earlier this week due to serious Health problems requiring urgent care.
RSF has described the detention as “unjustified and disproportionate,” and the Togolese Press Association has demanded their immediate release, warning that the case could damage Togo’s international reputation. The government insists the case is unrelated to the editorial content of the documentary and does not represent an attempt to restrict press freedom, but rather the enforcement of administrative procedures.
Togolese authorities consider the northern areas where the team was filming sensitive because of the threat of jihadist attacks. Parts of the north have been under a state of emergency for the past five years due to incursions by Islamic militant groups from neighboring Burkina Faso.
The detention comes amid broader pressure on French media in Togo. Radio France Internationale (RFI) and France 24 have remained off the air since their suspension in June 2025 over alleged lack of impartiality, raising further concerns about media freedom in the country.
As the legal proceedings continue, the case underscores the delicate balance between security imperatives and press freedom in a region grappling with extremist violence. International observers and rights groups will be watching closely for due process and a resolution that respects both administrative law and journalistic work.