NAIROBI — The Linda Mwananchi political movement has demanded the arrest and investigation of Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga, Suba North Member of Parliament Peter Kaluma, and other county leaders following violent clashes during the group’s tour of the region on Sunday.
In a statement delivered Monday in Nairobi by communication strategist Pauline Njoroge, the movement accused Wanga, Kaluma, Kwabwai Ward MCA Richard Ouma Ogindo, and other unnamed local officials of direct involvement or negligence in the violence that left two people dead and scores injured. “Silence will be read as complicity,” the statement warned.
According to Linda Mwananchi, 18 people received medical treatment by Sunday evening, with 12 evacuated to Kisumu for specialized care. By Monday, seven had been discharged, two had undergone surgery, one had undergone a leg amputation, and two had succumbed to their injuries. Several vehicles were burned or extensively damaged.
The movement described the attacks as a coordinated ambush rather than spontaneous unrest. It alleged that its convoy encountered roadblocks from the Kisumu-Homa Bay border continuing along the Homa Bay-Migori and Migori-Kisii routes, with police officers in some instances working alongside armed individuals positioned in bushes who fired on the convoy. The group further claimed that individuals had been transported from Kisumu, Siaya, Migori, Kisii, and Nairobi to disrupt its activities.
Supporters in Nyandiwa reportedly apprehended a man traveling in an unmarked black Toyota Prado who identified himself as an officer of the National Intelligence Service. The man’s mobile phone was seized and remains in the movement’s possession. Linda Mwananchi said several people identifying themselves as senior police officers had since called the phone demanding its return. The group said it was treating the device as evidence and would consult lawyers before engaging independent oversight bodies.
The movement has demanded explanations from Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority, and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Service regarding the presence and conduct of their personnel during the tour. It also accused the National Police Service and NIS of failing to protect its supporters.
Linda Mwananchi singled out police officers stationed in Nyandiwa and Sindo for praise, saying they refused orders to disrupt the rallies. The group also thanked medical facilities in Homa Bay and Kisumu, as well as Suba South MP Millie Odhiambo and Ida Odinga, widow of former Prime Minister Raila Odinga, for condemning the violence. Journalists who continued covering events despite attacks were also acknowledged.
The movement vowed that the violence would not deter its political activities ahead of the 2027 general election. “To every goon and officer whose face was captured on camera participating in the violence: you were seen, you are known. We will pursue accountability through the Constitution, the courts and every lawful institution available to us,” the statement read.
Linda Mwananchi further accused the government of attempting to use violence, intimidation, and state institutions to suppress political opposition, warning that the events in Homa Bay would shape the political contest in the coming election cycle.