Senator Dino Melaye, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress in Kogi State, has sharply criticised President Bola Tinubu’s decision to serve as chairman of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election. In a video posted on his official X account, Melaye described the arrangement as unprecedented and disgraceful, arguing it signals fear and a lack of confidence within the ruling party.
“This is the first time in the history of the universe and the entire world that a presidential candidate of a political party will double as the chairman of the presidential campaign council for his own election,” Melaye said. He characterised the move as evidence that the APC is “jittery” and “afraid” ahead of the next electoral cycle.
The former lawmaker also took aim at the size and structure of the campaign council, labelling it “very, very, very bogus” and alleging that several committees and positions had been duplicated. Beyond the structural concerns, Melaye raised serious questions regarding the reported appointment of Zacch Adedeji, chairman of the Nigerian Revenue Service, formerly the Federal Inland Revenue Service, to a fundraising role within the council.
Melaye alleged that Adedeji has been named deputy director in charge of fundraising for the Tinubu campaign. He argued that the appointment creates a direct conflict of interest, given Adedeji’s statutory responsibility as a public official overseeing national revenue collection. “Is there no conflict in this? As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday I’m going to court. We have to test that,” Melaye declared.
He stated his intention to challenge the appointment in court, citing the Public Service Rules which govern the conduct of civil servants. “If that is not conflict of interest, I don’t know what else it would be,” he added.
Melaye vowed to sustain his opposition to Tinubu’s re-election bid, framing the effort as a decisive struggle. “The battle to stop Tinubu is a battle of no retreat, no surrender,” he said. He described the developments surrounding the campaign council as “a big shame” and “a disgrace” as political parties intensify preparations for the 2027 presidential election.